Monday, August 27, 2012

Bona for fangirls

I love comedy.  I simply adore actors who can make other people laugh.  Laughter is the best medicine.  The whole world is filled with anger and hatred, I felt that these people are very important nowadays to balance the anger + hatred to a laughter, right?  Some of my faves are: Leslie Nielsen, Steve Martins, Whoopi Goldberg, Adam Sandler, Mr. Bean, the Friends Cast, Stephen Chow of course who wouldn't know Stephen Chow! I'm starting to like Jackie Chan movies now 'coz I found out its always filled with humor not just action. Filipino comedians include Vic Sotto, Joey De Leon, Rene Requiestas (RIP), Vice Ganda, Eugene Domingo, Aiai Delas Alas, Ogie Alcasid, Bitoy, Janno Gibbs (yeah he was once Pedro Penduko) and the late Redford White, Panchito and Dolphy maybe.

I didn't look up the summary of Bona before watching it last Friday (Aug. 24, 2012) at PETA.  I just knew it's a play that Ms. Eugene Domingo is starring at and it's a must for me to watch.  I almost gave up on watching it because of the Friday night rush and the crazy drizzle outside.  7:00p.m. and I'm still stuck in the office waiting for a cab.  I was able to hail a cab 30 minutes later.

When I entered the theater, I was quite disappointed with its stage as it was a bit smaller than the usual ones I see (Carlos P. Romulo Theater at RCBC).  The props were ordinary, typical household setting, the big screen on top and the weirdest thing I saw was a Black Nazarene.

First set, Ms. Domingo entered and lighten up the candle and prayed in front of the Black Nazarene.  The screen showed shots of the original Black Nazarene in Quiapo where devotees rub their towels on the image.  We can see in the footage Ms. Domingo, in the role of Bona.  Back to the scene where she's praying, she thanked the Black Nazarene for the blessings and hoping that some boy called Joshua would call her.  Apparently her phone rang but it was not her phone, it was a call from her messenger.  She's a part time Call Center Agent and online psychic reader.  She has a nephew called Bingo and a younger sister Binky, who is out of job and easily falls in love with guys.  She is a bread winner to her family and to her beki friend as well.  Kind-hearted woman she is, she started to idolize a matinee idol less the talent.  His name is Gino Sanchez.

Second set. She spends all of her savings to pamper and keep Gino's career ongoing.  She gives everything to Gino forgetting her family and friends, forgetting to live her life and thinking for her future.  She declined her landlord's attempt of wooing her and her landlord ended up with the lady guard downstairs.  In the end, Gino's childhood sweetheart was pregnant with his child and he had to admit everything to Bona.  Since I was never a fan of Nora Aunor's movies, the most-awaited scene that night was the famous spilling of boiling water unto Gino's body.  The play ended with a cliffhanger and me in an "Ask for more" kind of look.  I never wanted the play to end.

Never did I expect that this movie was about Fangirling at its worst case.  I am a fangirl, I'm maintaining two blogs as I wanted to separate my blabbers and trips from my fantasy.  I am a fanatic, yes.  I started this fanaticism some circa 1990 when I was introduced to Cantopop and HK artists.  It eventually evolved and now I'm hooked to 3 guys.  Anyhow, I can relate to the mamons, but not the way Bona did.  Mamons, especially red ribbon mamons are a delicacy in the Philippines.  I believe they don't have these in HK or Taiwan.  I somehow brought those rare food and gave it as a gift whenever I watch concerts of my idols.  I buy their CDs, watch their movies, buy the products they endorse--as long as I can use it.  Practically everything Bona does, I've somehow experienced a bit of it.  The difference is that I won't get so hooked that I'll mortgage any of my property, which I have none or even just jeopardize my job which is the main source of fulfilling my needs as a fangirl.  Other people who are not fanatics will never understand the feelings of a fanatic.  We are not rich, we are not wasting money on nobody, we are not stupid.  We do it because we are happy.  We are challenged as we try to get these artists' attention.  It's a matter of strategic thinking to be able to chance upon these artists, even to the point that their PAs hide them under their skirts!  It's mind boggling I should say.  Fangirling is hitting two birds in one stone.  You get to see your idol and explore the country or place where he's at.  So most of these fangirls I know are also jet setters.  The cheapskate-st jet setters you will ever know.  You see, these gals pay for concert/entrance ticket to some event they're attending, it sometimes costs a lot, so eventually they turn out to be the most tried and tested budget travelers you'll ever find!  haha! Fangirling is not bad, it's a form of therapy, a challenge for your brain cells and also, stamina.  After watching Bona, I reminded myself to keep it light and easy on travels and my so-called other "career".

Had some pics taken during the end of the show but Ms. Domingo never came out during the pictorial after the show.  Sad and not wanting to leave, I was hoping she'd show up again so I can take a picture of her.  I was even planning to stay later than anybody else in case the Jett Pangan incident might have a take 2.  I had a pic taken with Mr. Pangan after waiting for him when we watched Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde at Greenbelt 1.

Here are some pics I've taken after the show



I brushed off my disappointment of the stage, the whole play was just so superb I wanted to watch it all over again.  Seated at the 2nd row, a few meters away from the casts, I just wanted to give them all a big hug for a JOB WELL DONE! :0)

Bona is still showing until September 23! Click here for more info and schedule!

No comments:

Post a Comment